INCLUDE_DATA

Ajax CommentLuv Enabled 14f677e9ee771d115826babceaf5174d Photobucket
Print This Post Print This Post

You Won’t Believe These Are Whole Wheat

Recipes

plated-scone

Chocolate-cherry whole wheat scones. I could eat these every day. One of these days, I will share with you what I really do eat every morning. But these are my special treat. In my freezer, there is a bag of frozen raw scones, so I can always have melty, tender, warm scones right out of the oven. A cappuccino on the side. Now that’s breakfast. Also try the Blueberry-Meyer Lemon scones!

This is a buttermilk batter. It is wet!!! Absolutely make sure everything is cold – butter, buttermilk, eggs, your kitchen. No small feat when you’re baking in Miami. This was in and out of the refrigerator several times. Ultimately, because I got distracted and busy, the batter sat in my fridge for 3 days before rolling out. I don’t think it was any the worse for it, and possibly was better.

scone-ingredientsscone-cutouts

Chocolate Cherry Scones

adapted from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking: Delicious Recipes Using Nutritious Whole Grains

2 1/2 cups (8 1/8 oz) whole wheat pastry (King Arthur organic, of course)
1 cup (4 1/4 oz) unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (1 3/4 oz) granulated sugar (I use Florida crystals, though they’re a little brown)
1/4 cup (1 7/8 oz) packed light or dark brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking power (I use Hain’s featherlight, since there’s no corn in it)
1/2 tsp salt (I like Maldon for, well, all baking)
1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 oz) cold unsalted butter, sliced
3/4 cup (3 3/4 oz) dried sour cherries (I used organic)
3/4 cup (4 1/2 oz) chocolate chunks (I used Scharffen Berger bittersweet)
1 large egg
1 cup (8 oz) buttermilk (I confess, I used Organic Valley powdered buttermilk)
2 tsp vanilla extract (Singing Dog vanilla paste, actually – the best!)

Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly grease a baking sheet, line it with parchment paper, or use a Silpat.

Whisk together the flours, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.

Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. It helps if the butter is very cold. Put it in the freezer or a cup of ice water. Add the cherries and chcolate, and stir with a fork just to mix them in.

Whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla in a separate bowl or large measuring cup. I like the stick blender for this. Add, all at once, to the dry ingredients, and stir lightly and quickly with a fork until the dough is evenly moistened.

Put the dough into the refrigerator for an hour (or, as I did, 3 days!). Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface, and knead two or three times.

The first time I made this, I patted it out into a rectangle about 8 x 10 inches, about 3/4 inch thick. Cut it in half lengthwise, then in quarters. Cut each quarter diagonally, for a total of 16 wedges. Bake these for 22-25 minutes. A few minutes longer if you freeze them.

The last time, I rolled out the dough to 3/4 inch (with plastic wrap to keep it from sticking). Then, I cut it with a 2 1/2 inch round cutter. I bake these at 400° for 15 minutes.

To freeze, cut them out and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat and put the tray in the freezer. When they are frozen, peel them off the cookie sheet and place them in a freezer bag. Squeeze out the air. I hear they’ll keep for a month. They never last that long!

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Google Bookmarks
17 Comments

14 Comments

1. Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella  •  Feb 23, 2009 @3:20 am

Interesting, it’s a mix of naughty (Chocolate) and healthy (cherry and wholewheat). It sounds like a nice balance!

2. Sophie  •  Feb 23, 2009 @3:48 am

Carolyne, this looks so appetizing,mmmmmm…. I also like to bake with whole wheat flour. I too think that this is a right combination!

3. Nicole (Sweetie Pie)  •  Feb 23, 2009 @9:12 am

These look SO good. I love chocolate and cherry together– especially when the chocolate is made by Scharffen Berger!

I’ve never heard of Singing Dog vanilla paste, but, with a name like that, I would love to find some and try it out. Yum!

I’m so glad you stopped by my site so that I knew to check out yours! I’ll be back often!!

4. Natasha - 5 Star Foodie  •  Feb 23, 2009 @10:05 am

Chocolate and Cherries are my favorite combo in any pastry or dessert. These scones look wonderful!

5. Jen Schall  •  Feb 23, 2009 @10:44 am

These look delicious! I will be giving this one a try!

6. lisaiscooking  •  Feb 23, 2009 @11:12 am

Scones and cappuccino make a perfect breakfast! Your scones look fantastic.

7. Carolyn  •  Feb 23, 2009 @5:24 pm

Lorraine,
    I like that, naughty and healthy. But I absolutely want to believe that dark chocolate is good for you!

Nicole,
    I don’t know if Singing Dog still makes vanilla paste, but they have beans and extract. Here’s the link: Singing Dog Vanilla

Natasha, Sophie, Jen, and Lisa:
    Thanks for stopping by.

8. Reeni  •  Feb 24, 2009 @9:00 pm

These are scrumptious!! I love cherries and chocolate together!

9. Sophie  •  Mar 4, 2009 @6:23 am

Hello my foodie friend!!! Congrats!! you just won a Kreativ Blogger award from me!!!! Oooohhh yes, yes, Why??? you can check it out on my foodblog!!!! http://www.sophiesfoodiefiles.blogspot.com You can copy & paste the awerd in your foodblog!! I got 1, 2 days ago!!!

10. Sophie  •  Mar 4, 2009 @6:24 am

Hello foodiefriend, you just won a Kreativ Blogger award from me!!! Why??? Check out my latest post!! on my foodblog!!!

11. Molls09  •  Mar 8, 2009 @12:10 am

I love that these scone’s are whole wheat, I have used other dried organic fruit such as blueberries. I also use a trader joe’s brand of bittersweet dark chocolate, The best part is to freeze them to have individually for a few weeks.
    I firmly believe that dark chocolate is a healthy necessity of life.

12. curiousdomestic  •  Mar 26, 2009 @1:42 am

Yay! A scone recipe to use up my whole wheat flour! Chocolate and cherry sounds delish.

13. Sophia  •  Apr 8, 2009 @2:27 am

This is a recipe worth making daily. It’d disappear in a flash! I love the whole wheat addition and the classic dessert combination of chocolate and cherries. you hardly see a scone this healthy!

14. Gluten Free Gabber  •  Jan 13, 2012 @10:42 am

These look amazing. I’m going to convert them into Gluten Free and post them to my blog to share with everyone. Yum! Thanks for the great recipe.

3 Trackbacks