INCLUDE_DATA

Ajax CommentLuv Enabled 14f677e9ee771d115826babceaf5174d Photobucket
Print This Post Print This Post

Whose Blog Am I Cooking From? 3 – Mango Ginger Buttermilk Ice Cream

Real Food, Recipes, Whose Blog Am I Cooking From?

mango-ice-cream-2

Today’s entry is for a nice, seasonal ingredient – in Miami! Mangoes are everywhere and my neighborhood – Buena Vista East – is full of mango trees. These were ataulfo mangoes, small oval mangoes with a hook on one end. They are sweeter, smaller, and less fibrous than the more common Tommy Atkins mango.

mangotree
@bouchon2 posted mango ice cream, and it sounded so good, I had to make it. But I wanted to do something a little different. So I looked for mango ginger ice cream recipes, and I found this one for mango ginger buttermilk ice cream at Laura Rebecca’s Kitchen. I just happened to have mangoes, ginger, and buttermilk in the refrigerator, so I was sold.

This does not require any cooking. It comes together quickly and easily.

I made it on a Sunday night, but I let it ripen in the freezer for 2 days, and then served it for a dinner party with my friends. It was so incredibly good. I don’t think I had ever had mango ice cream before, although I love mango lassi when I go out for Indian food. The buttermilk gave it just the right tang. And of course, buttermilk is low in fat, but still creamy.

mango
mangopuree
icecreammaker
ice-cream-closeup
mango-ice-cream-3

Mango Ginger Buttermilk Ice Cream
Makes 1½ quarts

2 medium size ripe mangoes
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup agave nectar or honey
¼ cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
½ tsp. grated fresh ginger
1½ cups low-fat buttermilk
1 cup half and half

1. Peel and pit mangoes. Place in a food processor (you know I used my Magic Bullet) and puree until smooth.
  2. Place mango puree into a medium bowl and add sugar, agave, lemon juice, and ginger.
  3. Stir to combine well, cover, and let stand for 1 hour
  4. If the mangoes were stringy, strain them into a medium bowl to remove any chunks or large fibers
  5. Add buttermilk and half and half. Whisk until well combined
  6. Transfer to ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. You may need to do this in 2 batches
Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Google Bookmarks
17 Comments

16 Comments

1. Natasha - 5 Star Foodie  •  Apr 29, 2009 @1:21 pm

Yum! Mango and ginger ice cream sounds heavenly!

Natasha – 5 Star Foodie’s last blog post..British Museum and Okonomiyaki

2. Reeni  •  Apr 29, 2009 @4:26 pm

Love the ginger in here! How creamy, cool and refreshing!

Reeni’s last blog post..Never Cry Wolf

3. Berni  •  Apr 29, 2009 @6:49 pm

Wow, that looks delicious. It’s raining and cold here, winter has come early. Mangoes feel a long long way away, but that recipe is going on file for those long summer days.

Berni’s last blog post..It’s feeling a little warm in here……

4. Sophie  •  Apr 30, 2009 @2:15 am

Waw……Carolyn, I love your ice cream!
    I have made ginger ice cream before but not mango & ginger ice cream! Delicious!! I love the fact that you used agave to sweeten the dish with & that there is no cream & eggs in it!!
    This is lovely & easy!! My husband loves mangoes! Sunday, I can get fresh ones at the international market!!

5. Jane Russell  •  Apr 30, 2009 @4:26 pm

ok…so I confess..I ate loads and loads of this most delicious ice cream! It was THE BEST..tangy and kicky with ginger and I had no idea, initially, about the buttermilk but it worked with the mango. What a treat! How handy that it’s mango season here in Miami!

6. The Duo Dishes  •  Apr 30, 2009 @5:56 pm

Just saw your post on bouchon and had to check out what you made. Love the spice from ginger. It’s sweet, smooth and spicy at once.

The Duo Dishes’s last blog post..A Belly Full of Buitoni

7. Biz  •  Apr 30, 2009 @11:01 pm

I’ve never had mango ice cream before – I bet it is refreshingly good!

Biz’s last blog post..Jillian Online and Classic Corn Chowder

8. OysterCulture  •  May 2, 2009 @8:33 pm

oh my goodness, this recipe has all my favorites – I also really enjoy making mostly sorbets – I tend to shy away from the ice creams as most recipes make them custardy with all the egg yolks, but your version sounds wonderful.

OysterCulture’s last blog post..Stalking the Tour and discovering the delights of Chalon sur Saone

9. Jescel  •  May 6, 2009 @7:20 pm

this sounds good. i’ve always liked the combo of mango+ginger.. will bookmark this…

Jescel’s last blog post..Puto Maya (Sweet, Sticky Rice), Sushi-Style

10. Leela@shesimmers  •  May 7, 2009 @10:06 pm

Oh, man … this looks SO good. The combination of mango and ginger is just brilliant. Recipe bookmarked.

11. Your Mom  •  May 12, 2009 @4:53 pm

Fabulous ice cream!
    Great visit.
    Love you, Mom

12. ElenaLisvato  •  Aug 4, 2009 @12:22 pm

Hi, I can’t understand how to add your site in my rss reader. Can you Help me, please :)

13. Jan  •  Apr 13, 2011 @12:43 pm

That looks divine. Any chance you might share more of your recipes?

Jan

14. wwwspoon  •  Jul 4, 2012 @3:40 pm

Made this today with a few modifications – used one large mango instead of two medium ones, used only 1/2 sugar and no agave/honey, and used whole milk instead of half-and-half (it’s what I had on hand). Turned out great!

15. Emily Keram  •  Aug 25, 2012 @7:16 pm

I’m making this for our monthly Supper Club tonight. Our theme is Jamaican BBQ. This was a snap to put together and is almost finished churning. It tastes amazing!

I made only two changes. (Can’t help it, I’m a recipe tinker-er.) In making the mango base, I used xylitol instead of sugar and only added 1/4 cup instead of 3/4. I don’t have a real sweet tooth. I did end up adding a tablespoon more xylitol at the end (see below).

The second change; I blended the buttermilk and half-and-half together in a separate bowl and added it a little at a time to the mango base. I ended up with one cup of the milky mixture, meaning I used 1.5 cups of it. I just kept adding until it tasted right to me. I think if I had added all of it, it would have been more creamy. It’s more like a cross between a sorbet and an ice cream; a “viscosity” I like.

The only advice I’d give is to have some extra of all the ingredients on hand as you may want to fine tune the flavors after you add the buttermilk and half-and-half. My mangoes as sweet as my lemons were tart, so I ended up adding some about a tablespooon of xylitol at the end.

16. Mary @ Fit and Fed  •  Oct 1, 2012 @3:43 pm

This looks so good. The Ataulfo mangoes are so much better than the Tommy Hopkins, you are so lucky to live in Miami where you could get some from a friend or neighbor’s tree! I would probably make this with kefir, I’m using a lot of that these days and I find it works just like buttermilk in recipes.

1 Trackback