INCLUDE_DATA

Ajax CommentLuv Enabled 14f677e9ee771d115826babceaf5174d Photobucket
Print This Post Print This Post

Puffed Apple Pancake

Real Food, Recipes

I woke up this morning with a craving for breakfast. Now, I love breakfast. It is definitely one of my favorite meals. But when I saw this recipe for Puffed Apple Pancake in the March issue of Delicious, I just could not resist. These pancakes go by a lot of different names: dutch baby, dutch apple pancake, baked apple pancake. They all mean caramelized apples with batter poured over them and baked in the oven. This is Bill Granger’s recipe, and it did not need much fiddling. I cut it in half to serve 2. You can easily double it and use a larger pan.

applepancake

This comes together fairly quickly, so I recommend that you have everything ready before you start.

applepancake-6

apples

peeledapple
slicedapples
caramelizedapples
pancakebatter
uncookedpancake
applepancake-3

Puffed Apple Pancake
Serves 2
Adapted from Delicious magazine, March 2009 edition

2 tsbp unsalted butter
3 small apples, peeled, cored, cut into eights (I used organic Fujis, but he recommends Granny Smith)
1.5 tbs brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon (I used freshly ground)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tbs lemon juice
1/3 cup all-purpose flour (I used organic)
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon peel
1 tsp sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3 oz milk

1. Preheat the oven to 425˚
  2. Melt the butter in an 8 inch ovenproof skillet
  3. Add the apple and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat
  4. Add the cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until caramelized
  5. Mix the flour, lemon peel, sugar and a pinch of salt in a large bowl
  6. Make a well in the center and add the eggs and milk
  7. Whisk lightly to combine. It will be lumpy. Don’t overmix
  8. Pour the batter over the apples and place the pan in the oven
  9. Bake for 15 minutes, until puffed and golden
  10. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or demerara. Serve immediately with a dollop of creme fraiche or whipped cream
Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Google Bookmarks
12 Comments

12 Comments

1. Natasha - 5 Star Foodie  •  May 25, 2009 @8:54 pm

Yum! I used to make a similar recipe that but haven’t made one in a long time. This looks delicious!

Natasha – 5 Star Foodie’s last blog post..Grilled Lamb Chops with Chipotle Mustard and Gorgonzola Mashed Potatoes

2. Reeni  •  May 25, 2009 @9:35 pm

I love these! I make them in the fall with fresh apples. They are such a treat!

Reeni’s last blog post..Red, White & Bleu

3. Berni  •  May 25, 2009 @11:33 pm

Oh wow, this is my idea of heaven. Must be so good with a good cup of tea.

Berni’s last blog post..Weight Loss Weekly

4. This is a combo I know I’d love and I have 3 kgs of apples that are just dying to be made into something like this! :D

5. Sophie  •  May 26, 2009 @4:25 am

Indeed, Carolyn: the recipe is delicious: Bill Granger & you are great!

Looks really delicious! I have seen Bill making this in his latest show that shows on tv in Belgium! I thought I must get that recipe, so thanks!

Sophie’s last blog post..5 spiced pork with hoisin sauce, broccoli & spring onions stir fry

6. lisaiscooking  •  May 26, 2009 @3:22 pm

I love cooking one big pancake instead of several separate ones. And, baked pancakes are so fluffy and delicious. Yours looks amazing!

lisaiscooking’s last blog post..Spicy Slaw

7. nora@ffr  •  May 28, 2009 @2:21 pm

yumm!! would be perfect with my morning coffee :) cant wait to try this out.. look fabulous!! thanx for sharing :) keep it up

8. Joanne  •  May 28, 2009 @3:41 pm

I made these a few weeks ago…a little differently but similiar concept. BUT.. yours look 10 times more fantastic.
    I love the step-by-step in pics.

Joanne’s last blog post..CEimB: Crispy Fish Fingers

9. easy2breathe  •  May 30, 2009 @1:14 pm

This does look good. I wonder how it would turn out with whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose. I’ll give it a go :)

10. OysterCulture  •  May 30, 2009 @8:24 pm

I swear I left a comment, but what I wanted to say was that these pancakes look wonderful, the perfect breakfast indulgence. They remind me of the breakfast my family used to get at a restaurant called Pannekocken (spelling?) where they served the puffed pancakes. I loved them as a kid.

OysterCulture’s last blog post..Special Ingredients: Avocado Leaves

11. Maryellen  •  Jun 9, 2009 @3:02 pm

Ours is in the oven right now! They look sooooooo delicious. :)

12. fitnfree  •  Jun 8, 2012 @3:58 pm

Sounds SO delicious – thanks for sharing. This is a must try! :)