INCLUDE_DATA

Ajax CommentLuv Enabled 14f677e9ee771d115826babceaf5174d Photobucket
Print This Post Print This Post

Spring is Here! Beet Gnocchi

Real Food, Recipes

The stores and markets are full of spring produce! Fresh peas, fiddlehead ferns, fresh favas, asparagus, morels. My refrigerator is full of fabulous things. So on a recent Friday night, I wanted to put together a seasonal meal for my friends. They offered to bring fresh pasta, but I had this recipe, from an old Bon Appetit, in the back of my mind. Because despite the name of my blog, there has not been much beet around here lately. So, I roasted some beets ahead of time and put them in the fridge. The gnocchi are fairly quick. They are a ricotta gnocchi, which have been all over blogdom lately because they were featured on the Daring Cooks challenge. This recipe is quicker and easier than that recipe, and as you can see, the results are a lovely purple color.

beetgnocchi-plated

I made a sauce of peas, morels, and a little bacon. I added some grassfed meatballs, and Bouchon for 2′s lovely fiddlehead salad. It made quite a meal.

gratedbeet
fiddleheads
peapods
morels
morelsauce
beetgnocchi

Beet Gnocchi
Serves 4
from Bon Appetit October 2006

3 small beets, trimmed
1 pound fresh ricotta cheese (I made it)
1 large egg
3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, divided

1. Preheat oven to 450˚. Wrap beets in foil and roast until tender, about 1 hour.
  2. Cool 15 minutes and slip skins off
  3. Grate coarsely. Place 3/4 cup of beets in large bowl (reserve remaining beets for tomorrow’s salad)
  4. Stir in ricotta, egg, 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste
  5. Add 1 cup flour
  6. You can make it ahead up to this point and refrigerate
  7. Lightly dust baking sheet with flour. Place remaining 1/2 cup flour in small bowl
  8. Measure out tbsp-sized scoops of dough and coat with flour
  9. Roll with a gnocchi board or a fork to get the traditional indentations, or roll into a 1 1/2 inch log and gently press the center with your fingertip to make slight indentations
  10. Transfer gnocchi to prepared baking sheet
  11. Can be prepared to this point up to 6 hours ahead. Cover and chill
  12. Put a large, well-salted pot of water on to boil. Cook gnocchi until they float to the surface, about 2 minutes
  13. Cook about another minute, then remove with a slotted spoon.
  14. Place gnocchi on plate and sauce appropriately. Serve immediately, sprinkled with additional Parmesan cheese

Pea and Morel Sauce

1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup fresh peas
1 shallot, diced
fresh savory (can substitute thyme, basil or marjoram if savory is not available)
fresh sage
2 green onions, sliced
2 slices bacon, chopped
2 tbsp heavy cream or half and half
1/2 lb morels, cleaned and sliced
salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese for garnish

1. In a large skillet, heat a tbsp of olive oil until it shimmers
  2. Add shallots, savory, sage, and green onion
  3. When the shallots soften and become translucent, add the peas
  4. Add the chopped bacon and some more sage
  5. Add the cream and stir until creamy and the peas are cooked but not wrinkled
  6. Add the morels and stir into sauce. Cook the sauce about 2 more minutes, until the morels are softened and fragrant
  7. Serve over pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese
Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Google Bookmarks
17 Comments

14 Comments

1. Lori @ RecipeGirl  •  Jun 1, 2009 @9:07 am

They’re so pretty!

Lori @ RecipeGirl’s last blog post..Plantain- Wrapped Crab Cakes with Avocado Aioli

2. Natasha - 5 Star Foodie  •  Jun 1, 2009 @11:55 am

Beet gnocchi look delightful! Love all the gorgeous spring veggies here and the pea and morel sauce sounds excellent!

Natasha – 5 Star Foodie’s last blog post..Sweet Corn and Vidalia Onion Bisque

3. lisaiscooking  •  Jun 1, 2009 @2:17 pm

This sounds fantastic! I’ve made beet pasta before and would love to try beet gnocchi. The pea and morel sauce sounds delicious too!

lisaiscooking’s last blog post..White Mountain Chocolate Cupcakes

4. Reenic  •  Jun 1, 2009 @2:45 pm

Their such a beautiful color! What gorgeous plates of vibrant colors. The sauce looks wonderful!

Reenic’s last blog post..Sweet Corn, Shrimp & Basil Soup

5. wendy  •  Jun 1, 2009 @4:07 pm

Your gnocchi look wonderful and I love the color.

6. OysterCulture  •  Jun 1, 2009 @11:21 pm

oh my goodness, that sounds and looks spectacular, I love the way the colors practically jump off the screen.

OysterCulture’s last blog post..Special Ingredients: Avocado Leaves

7. Leigh  •  Jun 2, 2009 @9:32 am

Yum! Gnocchi intimidate me, but I’m just going to have to push forward and try them some day. Speaking of beets (which I love), I picked up something interesting while on the west coast – beet powder. Curious to experiment with it and see what I can give that amazing color to with a different flavor.

Leigh’s last blog post..And she’s back!

8. Sophie  •  Jun 2, 2009 @10:10 am

MMMMM…Carolyn! These beet gnocchi sounds amazing & so delicious, so is your lovely healthy sauce! I have never had fiddle heads! What do they taste like? A great supper for friends: how lucky they are,…!

Sophie’s last blog post..Rhubarb & almond muffins with cinnamon & nutmeg

9. Paige at The Spice House  •  Jun 2, 2009 @1:55 pm

Your sauce looks amazing, but I have to admit, I can’t imagine having enough morels to put in anything. Usually I just saute any I can find by themselves, and never feel sated. I bet the sauce is almost as good with cremini instead, though. And maybe some green garlic? Why isn’t it dinner time yet?

10. Dana  •  Jun 2, 2009 @7:16 pm

What a gorgeous dish! I love that you use the best of the season.

Dana’s last blog post..Haunted by Pizza

11. Jackie @ PhamFatale.com  •  Jun 3, 2009 @8:55 pm

What a genius idea for an elegant color. I’ve tried sweet potato gnocchi. I would have never thought of this. It’s absolutely beautiful!

Jackie @ PhamFatale.com’s last blog post..Goat Ricotta Cheese and Pine Nut Stuffed Baby Zucchini

12. Green Bean  •  Jun 9, 2009 @8:19 pm

Wow, I would have never ever every thought of that! Gorgeous. Love the color!

Green Bean’s last blog post..Edible Exhibitionism

13. Otehlia Cassidy  •  Aug 3, 2009 @12:39 pm

Ooooh! I have to try these. I have never tried to make gnocchi, but a restaurant in Madison, WI, Magnus, used to serve these. Today might be the day. Wish me luck!
    Otehlia Cassidy´s last blog ..Babcock Hall Ice Cream My ComLuv Profile

14. Cooking with Kait  •  May 21, 2010 @3:06 pm

I love the color of the beat gnocchi! What a beautiful dish.
    Cooking with Kait´s last blog ..Pearl Sugar Waffles My ComLuv Profile